Saturday, April 16, 2011

Waiting



Waiting.  It's not fun.  "Hope deferred makes the heart sick." Proverbs 13:12a
Carrie guessed right.  I applied for a mission trip.  And I've been preparing ever since.

The thing is...I don't know if I'm accepted or not.  And there's no way to know when I'll know.  Too many girls have applied for this trip and so it looks like some won't make it. 

I know God has planted the burning desire to do overseas mission work in my heart.  Whether I'm meant to go on this particular trip or not remains to be seen.  I want to do God's will.  And it's gotten to the point where I just want to know one way or the other so I can know whether to pursue other options or not.

I've been trying to have faith and patience.  But to be honest, it's tough.  This constant uncertainty.  The unablity to form conrete plans for after graduation.  Not knowing if there will be enough time to raise funds even if I am accepted. 

So I'm waiting.  Because there's nothing I can do but wait.  However, there are things I can do while waiting.

"While I'm Waiting" by John Waller is such an encouraging, wonderful song! I found this video on YouTube:



I will move ahead bold and confident...taking every step in obedience.  While I'm waiting...I will serve You.  While I'm waiting...I will worship.  While I'm waiting, I will not faint.  I'll be running the race...even while I wait.  This song displays what it is like to actively wait upon the Lord.  It's not sitting around waiting for life to happen.  It is living for the Lord this day.  And the next day.  And the next.  It is running the race and serving and worshipping as a way of life...whether we particularly feel like it or not. Today is the day the Lord has made...let us rejoice and be glad in it!

I want to praise God for the blessings He has given me now...while I am waiting.  I want to be faithful in my studying and writing now...while I am waiting.  I want to persevere in learning Thai...while I am waiting.

What about you?  What are you waiting for?  What can you do while you wait?

To visit other Spiritual Sundays' participants, visit here.

8 comments:

  1. wow Alyssa...you totally rock. You have incredible faith. Love the song. Love your post. Keep standing strong and know this...while you're waiting and posting...you're already impacting people. You did me. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you, Alyssa! My 18 year old son and my 21 year old daughter both have a heart for missions. My son has been to Cardiff, Wales and Nicarauga. My daughter is wanting to go to Nigeria in May, but don't know if she will be able to raise the funds quick enough.
    Again, I am praying for you as you wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting is the hardest thing for me and I'm old enough to have learned patience! I hope your answer comes soon. I admire your desire to share God's message with the world.

    Blessings,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can so identify with this. Waiting has never been easy for me but I've done a lot of it in my life. Be assured that God knows your heart and his plans for you will be perfect. Perhaps we have to wait sometimes so that we will learn to truly trust Him and know there is a reason for the waiting. I pray God will give you His peace while you wait.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment on my blog! The picture is in public domain. I think I got it from wpclipart.com. If I actually publish my book, though, I don't know if I will be able to use it or not.

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are in my prayers, and you have a right attitude about this. It is hard to wait, but if you have not heard, may be a good sign. Maybe they are going through the applications and trying to make a decision. One thing I know if He wants you on this trip, nothing will stop you from going. God richly bless you. Love you very much Alyssa, praying and trusting on your behalf. Love you, grandma Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alyssa,

    I followed the link to your blog from Lexi's blog "Choosing to Wait" I can relate very well to what waiting and more specifically to waiting on missions opportunities. God has taken me on a long and challenging road to missions, but I have been to Romania 6 times serving orphans. I was born with the gift of Cerebral Palsy and I walk with 2 cans. Anything is truly possible with God. I would love to share my story with you and encourage and help you in any way I can. There are Many missions opportunities available. If you would like to your can contact me at oneofsixsiblings@gmail.com

    God Bless you!

    Melissa Melvin

    http://journeytowardeternity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for commenting, and I am following you now too!
    Waiting is for sure the hardest part, but everything happens in God's perfect timing : )

    ReplyDelete