Thursday, May 19, 2011

Book Review: Keeping Secrets (Journals of the Big Mouth Bass)




Keeping Secrets is the first book in the Journals of the Big Mouth Bass series by Debbie Sue Bass Williamson. It’s a fiction book for 8-12 year olds. It is written in diary format. That is a tough style of writing to pull off but the author manages to make it interesting. 9-year-old Debbie Bass writes in her journal to God sharing her thoughts and feelings and adventures. She wants to learn to keep secrets and no longer be called by her nickname, “Big Mouth Bass”. The book moves along at a nice, fast pace.

I did not like the chapter on “magic” since real magic has always been bad and tied to satan. There’s no such thing as good “magic”. There was frequent misuse of God’s name as well in the forms of “j-e-e-z” and “b-e-j-e-s-u-s”. One final negative note: I found the ending to be devastatingly sad.  In my opinion, it was entirely unnecessary and I can’t imagine how tragic it might be for a younger kid. On the good side, the fact that I found the ending to be sad means that the author successfully made me care for the main characters.

In the end, it's great to have had the chance to read a book whose target audience is the same as the age range I want to write for.

~I received this book free from Cadence Marketing Group in exchange for my honest review.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I love your blog! I have one too! Come check it out!
    www.tweensbloggin4god.blogspot.com
    Thanks!
    -Angel :)

    ReplyDelete