Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Book Review: A Kid's Guide to Being a Winner



A Kid's Guide to Being a Winner by C. D. Shelton is a very easy-to-read book for 8-13 year olds about...how to be a winner! I think kids younger than 8 could benefit from this book as well. It is simple yet practical. Here is a quote I like, "They (winners) understand life is a precious gift to be honored and not trashed." It is filled with illustrations (by Greg G. Gillespie). It covers 5 ways to be a winner. #1 Being Responsible, #2 Being Thoughtful, #3 Being Respectful, #4 Having Gratitude, and #5 A Positive Mental Attitude. I agree with the first four (although in the gratitude section, it says that our "greatest gift" is our health which I don't believe to be true. The greatest gift is eternal life for those who put their trust in Jesus). As for number five, I have nothing against optimism or thinking positively, per se. I am against the New Age movement and the Word of Faith movement which are unBiblical and have led many people astray. Just because you think positively about a situation does not mean it will work out how you hope or you will automatically achieve success. Besides my concern about that, it's a nice book which may help some kids improve their character.

~I received this book free from The Cadence Group in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment