Monday, December 12, 2011

Book Review: The Merchant's Daughter




Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Be willing to risk for love. Your circumstances don't have to define you.


The Merchant's Daughter by Melanie Dickerson captured my imagination like no other book has in months. The author drew me into 1352. She made me care about the two main characters and she skillfully switched point of view.

Annabel is not welcome in the village of Glynval. She's not even welcome in her own lazy family. (I really don't like those people.) Yet this book shows that God can work anything for good. She must serve Lord Ranulf le Wyse as an indentured servant because of her family's debt of the past three years (they were supposed to work in the fields but didn't). This actually gives her the opportunity to read God's Word and lead a happy life.


I like that while the author introduced various conflicts, even really dangerous ones, she resolved them well. *Potential Plot Spoiler* At one point in the book, a young man defends Annabel from an evil attacker. What bothers me is that he later regrets it. I don't believe that anyone should feel guilty or fear punishment for accidently killing someone in the defense of another. The young man should feel proud for his actions. The attacker had to be stopped and if he died in the process, that is his own fault for creating the problem. Protecting the innocent from being victimized is a privilege and a duty that must be taken seriously.


Annabel's diligence and hunger for God's Word is inspiring and convicting. Her character 
reminds me of Proverbs 22:29, "Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will serve before kings; he will not serve before obscure men."

I appreciated that the novel continued for a bit after the climax so we could enjoy the happy ending instead of cutting off abruptly as many books do.


                                                     ~~~~~~~~~

Team Novel Teen is a group of bloggers dedicated to spreading the word about clean teen fiction. Check out other posts about The Merchant's Daughter by Melanie Dickerson by clicking on the links below, and check out 
www.NovelTeen.com for more information about Team Novel Teen.
 
~I received this book free through Team Novel Teen in exchange for my honest review.

7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your review, Alyssa! You pointed out things that I agree with, but didn't even notice (like skillfully changing point-of-view and the reference to Proverbs!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the insightful review! It didn't occur to me that Annabel's character is a reminder of Proverbs 22:29.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I agree that I liked that it went on a bit longer. But it still ended too soon for me. I loved these characters so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading your review!

    *Potential Plot Spoiler*

    Though I agree that the character who acted in defense of another shouldn't beat himself over what happened, I can also see how he'd be upset over nearly killing someone even if it was with no ill intention. You make good points though, and it's something to think about.

    Great job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, Alyssa. Loved your reference to Proverbs 22:29. I was also glad the book didn't end earlier. But that shouldn't surprise anyone who's read From Darkness Won and the 100 page winding down of that trilogy. I couldn't help it!

    I'm a happy ending girl. And Merchant's Daughter has a wonderfully happy ending. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh, good reference comparison with Proverbs. Very true, where Annabel is concerned. I loved her servant attitude! So humble and hardworking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was a bit annoyed by all the angst the characters felt over defending themselves, but that might just be my 21th century mindset showing. I suppose that those feelings and that mindset are really an essential part of the historical setting. Great review!

    ReplyDelete