Monday, January 9, 2012

Book Review: SAT & College Preparation Course for the Christian Student


The title is a mouthful. But it's nice that James P. Stobaugh has taken the time to write a SAT and college prep book for Christians.

On the front cover, it lists three of the benefits students receive from reading it:
~Test-taking insights and strategies
~Timely tips for thriving academically
~50+ sample essays sharpen your skills

My SAT prep books are old so I was excited to get the chance to review a new edition! I think this is a unique resource for students preparing for the SAT. This book is not the same as The Princeton Review or Kaplan books which include sample tests and focus on the "right" way to take/crack the SAT. Academically, those are probably more helpful and to-the-point. This is especially so for someone like me who waited until after highschool to start studying for the SAT. Don't make my mistake. Start studying ASAP! There is a 3-Year Plan (for those starting in 9th grade-recommended), a 2-Year Plan, and a 1-Year Plan. I've been going at my own pace and mixing this book with other SAT prep books.

In the Appendices, there are vocabulary helps, recommended reading lists, a reading journal, a prayer devotional journal, possible target Scriptures, and test-taking strategies. Then there are the fifty sample college admission essays that you can peruse. This book is written from a Christian worldview with an emphasis on the spiritual side of things. It begins each day with a Bible passage and the author's observations (whether he relates it to a personal or historical incident or literature, etc.) I was surprised that the recommended reading lists didn't have more Christian books on them. This book reinforces the importance of reading a lot but since I grew up an avid reader, it didn't apply much to me. I need serious help in math and there are math problems sprinkled throughout the lessons...I've mainly used the book for these. I like that the answers in the back of the book come with an explanation.

In the end, I feel that this book will help some students more than others. It's worth a look!

~I received this book free from New Leaf Publishing Group in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment