Sunday, January 22, 2012

If I get ONE MORE rejection...

...I'll still keep submitting.

All right, I'll admit it. That's not the first thing that crosses my mind when I receive yet another rejection. It's more like "ugh, I'm sick of getting rejected" or "am I ever going to get a job?" or "come on, there has got to be an agent or publisher somewhere who will be interested in my novel!".

Sending out job applications is so not fun. Neither is sending out novel proposals. It's hard to figure out which one is more work (I'm sure it depends...but I'm leaning toward those proposals...everytime the guidelines are somewhat different!). Job applications generally involve filling in blanks and maybe answering a few questions. Proposals involve writing...re-checking the guidelines...writing...re-checking the guidelines...research...re-checking the guidelines...and organizing your thoughts (i.e. writing). Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to go with the novel proposals. Which are, actually, a writer's job applications.

Although rejections can be really discouraging, they can also motivate us to work harder and improve our skills. Not to mention the lessons in patience... :)

So how about you? How do you handle rejections? What lessons have you learned? Any recent rejections or acceptances that you'd like to share?

2 comments:

  1. I've never been rejected - but I've never submitted, either. So.

    Hang in there! You're right: there's got to be someone out there interested in your novel. I'm sure great things are just around the corner :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't really submitted much of anything. I did get an honorable mention on NextGen Writers (http://nextgenwriters.com/2012/01/17/and-the-winners-are/) and so have been invited to submit a proposal to WhiteFire Publishing. I'm not going to submit one just yet, but we'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete