Saturday, February 18, 2012

Thinking and Working

It's funny (and sad) how much time we can spend thinking about working rather than doing the actual work. Dreaming about our dreams rather than taking steps toward accomplishing them. I'll admit it. I love daydreaming. It's fun to imagine what could be (and even stuff that can't!). I can excuse some of my mind's wanderings since I am a writer and it has helped me come up with ideas. But it's easy to go overboard. I thought thinking up pretend scenarios would stop when I grew up...apparently not. And I'm glad. I'd hate to lose it.

Still, it's important to not be so caught up in dreaming that we neglect the real world. We've only got one shot at this life. Let's make it count! At the same time, if there were no dreams/hopes for the future, there would be nothing to shoot for. It's a balancing act.

I would like to point out that these are not romantic/Prince Charming dreams that I'm talking about. It's not healthy to dwell on gushy stuff. I'm talking about...say, you dream of becoming a nurse...you could dream about the country, hospital, team, etc. you hope to work with someday. But if you don't put in the hard work necessary to get a nursing degree, your dream won't take you anywhere. The same goes for dreaming about becoming a wonderful homemaker someday. If you don't learn the skills of running a home, your dream probably won't become a reality.

I bet you already know this. It's just common sense, really. Yet sometimes we all need a reminder to do. the. work. It's so much more fun to dream of being (fill in the blank), then to go through the preparation to get to that point. Not to burst your bubble or anything but...those dreams will be shattered if we don't.

Personally, I can't wait until the day I have a middle grade novel published in print. To get to that point, I need to write the book. Edit it a lot. Query agencies/publishing companies. Wait. Submit again. And so on. When (and if) my novel is accepted for publication, the work is not over! Then there is lots more editing. And if I want people to be able to read my book (which I definitely do!), I'm going to have to market it like crazy! Without these steps, the dream of being a published novelist is not going to happen.

(And yes, I am so excited about my e-book, Deadly Delirium, that is releasing in 6 days!!!)

What are your dreams? What steps are you taking toward them? What have you done well? What do you think could use improvement?

No comments:

Post a Comment