Saturday, February 11, 2012

Writing 121

No, I'm not going to be giving a writing lesson on my blog :). This is my very first college class. I'm taking it online through my local community college. I'm hoping to gather a few credits before I attend university full-time starting Fall 2013 (I'll still be an entering freshman...not a transfer student).

It's only one class but it does take up quite a bit of my time. I happen to think that online classes are just as time consuming as classes you attend in person...perhaps more so even...because of the online participation that is required in the discussion boards. Then again, my opinion may change once I attend "live" classes :).

Even though I'm a writer, I'll admit that writing essays that will be worth a huge chunk of my grade has me worried. I'm a perfectionist. You know, the one who always feels like she has to get an "A"? Not because her parents or peers say so. Just because...well, she has to.

My first essay topic was to write about my idea of a eutopia...a good yet imperfect world. Yeah, I didn't know "utopia" could be spelled with an "e", either. They both sound the same (at least that's how I pronounce them) so I had to keep saying "eutopia" with an "e" whenever I talked with someone about it. I'm tempted to think that the word is *cough* made up. It's not in our dictionary at home. Anyway, it's a topic I'd never think about naturally so it was a challenge.

We're deep into our second assignment. Analyzing a visual argument. It's actually quite interesting and I like it better than the last one.

Are you taking college classes? Part-time or full-time? Which classes? Are you studying a subject on your own at home?

In other words, in what ways are you furthering your education? I'd love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment