Monday, April 30, 2012

Book Review: Interrupted by Rachel Coker

200 



Blurb: Can love really heal all things? If Sam Carroll hadn't shown up, she might have been able to get to her mother in time. Instead, Allie Everly finds herself at a funeral, mourning the loss of her beloved mother. She is dealt another blow when, a few hours later, she is sent from Tennessee to Maine to become the daughter of Miss Beatrice Lovell, a prim woman with a faith Allie cannot accept. Poetry and letters written to her mother become the only things keeping Allie's heart from hardening completely. But then Sam arrives for the summer, and with him comes many confusing emotions, both toward him and the people around her. As World War II looms, Allie will be forced to decide whether hanging on to the past is worth losing her chance to be loved.
 
My review: Interrupted: Life Beyond Words by Rachel Coker is an interesting historical novel. The heroine, Allie, is not exactly what you’d call likeable. She can be downright mean…even to those who are kind to her. Yet she’s been through quite a bit and for some reason, I still wanted her to be happy. I don’t know why Sam liked her so much, though :). I felt that having Allie and her mom hate Christians was a bold, unique way to start out a Christian YA novel.

Now, let me examine what I see as the downsides. The book could have been edited better since there were a few grammatical errors/typos that caught my attention. The thing that bothers me most, though, is the repeated use of “g-o-s-h”. I’m sure that Rachel didn’t mean to offend anyone but I don’t like it when authors use God’s name in vain (even if it’s the “mellow” version). Also, it’s concerning to me that Sam (apparently a Christian) was asking someone who was obviously not a Christian to marry him.

Back to what’s positive: As I was observing this new author’s writing style, something that struck me is that Rachel does a wonderful job of writing description. An example of this is “…the rolling grass engulfing me in large green pools”. Great, creative imagery!

Overall, this is a nice novel that held my attention well.

Interrupted book trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7MMGPI3q8A
Rachel's YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/JCoker1960

ADD Librarian • The Book Fae • Book Nook 4 You • Colorimetry • CTF Devourer • Gillian Adams • My Life with a Mission • My Story Shelf • Jill Williamson • Oh, Restless Bird • Rachelle Rea

Team Novel Teen is a group of bloggers dedicated to spreading the word about clean teen fiction. Check out other posts about Interrupted by Rachel Coker by clicking on the links above, and check out www.NovelTeen.com for more information about Team Novel Teen.

~I received this book for free from Zondervan, through Team Novel Teen, in exchange for my honest review.

8 comments:

  1. I never thought about the whole "Sam asking Allie {a non-christian} to marry him" bit before as being a negative within the story. It is a little odd, yes, but I think it was alright in Interrupted. Let me explain... I believe that Sam ALWAYS had faith and hope and love for Allie even when she didn't believe in herself or possess those attributes herself. I think it took a lot of courage and faith for Sam to stand by Allie all those years and hope that she would some day be his forever.

    Oh, yes! Rachel's strong points are in how she literally paints picture words for us throughout Interrupted. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also meant to say that it took a lot of patience and hope on Sam's part while he waited for Allie's heart to change towards those she loved, God and himself. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the review, Alyssa! You actually caught on to one of the biggest dilemmas I had when writing the book--the relationship between a Christian and a non-believer. I think Sarah Elizabeth explained my thinking pretty well, though, and I'm glad you could still enjoy the book. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved the writing style. I can't wait to see what Coker writes next!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alyssa, I don't know why it didn't hit me before but your concern about the relationship between Sam and Allie is an interesting one...thanks for being courageous enough to say so in your review. I don't think I could say it any better than Sarah and Rachel have, but I just love the way that Sam was faithful to be patient and love Allie through all the hard years and tough times...a beautiful picture of how God loved us before we gave ourselves to Him fully.

    Blessings! :)
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely conversation about faithfulness. I love what Rachelle said about how God is faithful to us. Same was a good example of that to Allie.

    And I agree that Rachel can write some amazing description. Can't wait to read her next one!
    :-)
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks really good! You write really good reveiws.

    Okay, this is gonna sound really odd, but is it age apppropriate? You know, rembering that I'm 12 and all...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, thank you, Kristin! That's not an odd question to ask; it's a good question. Even though the "reading level" listed on Amazon is for ages 15 and up, I think it would be fine for a 12 year old to read...that's my opinion :).

    ReplyDelete