Sunday, July 8, 2012

When Things Don't Go As Planned

 Redbricks+To+Do+List


I'm a planner. I may even be a somewhat obsessive planner. I love my To-Do lists. And I like things to go according to plan.

But what about when they don't? When, despite your hopes and plans, things don't work out?

It's disappointing. It's frustrating. It can even be downright disheartening.

I know that I, personally, need to try hard to not overreact (a.k.a. freak out) when plans don't end well or have to change. When only one person gave to Natalia through my giveaway, I was definitely disappointed. It made me sad that I wasn't "popular" like some bloggers that get hundreds of comments. I really hoped to make a difference and raise money for Natalia and instead, I wound up feeling like a failure in the advocating-for-waiting-orphans department.

Would it have been better to not even try? I don't believe so. You never know what can happen if you don't try! Hosting a giveaway on my blog wasn't a success. I can learn from that and change my approach. I can focus my advocating on Facebook rather than on my blog (unless my blog suddenly becomes a super popular place :)).  

I know that I'm sometimes tempted to not do something for fear that it will be a waste of time and effort. For fear that I'll fail. I'm not talking about the times when it's wise to not attempt something (especially without proper training, etc.). I mean when I have a good chance of accomplishing something but also a decent chance at, well, not accomplishing it. Sometimes I just need to set aside my worries, do the hard work necessary, pray, and hope for the best.

What goals do you have at this stage in your life? Do some seem almost impossible? What helps motivate you to try anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment